Search engine optimization, or SEO, is a ranking factor in search engines such as Google and Bing that determine how high on a page of search results your company will be listed. When it comes to local SEO, some practices differ, and some are more important than others. When evaluating your local SEO practices, consider the following 5 tips:
- Get Citations – This term was attributed to the name, address, phone number- or NAP- that is used whenever a business is mentioned Search engines recognize when these are used on the internet. The more places your NAP is mentioned, the more prominent you seem and the higher you are likely to rank.
- Make sure your NAP is Consistent – Anytime your NAP is used, make sure it is copied For instance, if you are located on Cherry Court but you abbreviate Court to ‘CT’, you need to make sure to do so every time. Any variation in your NAP can cause it to be counted out of your mentions, hurting your prominence and rank.
- Get your Business on Google My Business and Bing Places for Business – Both of these resources are directories of businesses on the web. By making sure you are listed in the directory, you are not only helping people find and review you but allow them to access information such as your website, phone number, location, business hours, and so on. Those listed on Google My Business and Bing Places for Business will benefit from location-based related searches- especially on mobile phones- and a higher ranking in search results.
- Seek Reviews – Two benefits come from getting public reviews on the internet. The first is that having reviews online makes you seem like an active business and having one is always better than not having any. When people see that other people have enjoyed your business they will be more likely to give it a try. Second, because search engines like Google and Bing always want to offer the best options in its search results, higher rated businesses rank higher in the search results. So, encouraging customers to write reviews will both boost your ranking and drive more traffic in the doors.
- Make Your Site Mobile Friendly – If you have a website, you’re likely familiar with the term ‘responsive.’ Responsiveness is the level to which your website adapts to the display screen it is on. When your website is not mobile-friendly, it is not likely that a consumer will stay on it very long, which will inevitably hurt your rankings.
This is a great starting list, but not all-inclusive. If you’re interested in having a professional assess your website and offer a comprehensive list of the upgrades you’ll need, give Web Solutions of America a call at 407-636-4233. Let our proven track record and experience with boosting company rankings work for you.